4.08.2010

Unintended Lessons

Posting more about homemade prison wine tomorrow - hoping this will tide things over until then.

 --oh and maybe some cool music from Portland locals (Maine that is (far less pretentious)).
...for now though, like I said, enjoy a science fiction short somehow related to Ridley Scott, directed by Carl Erik Rinsch(?):



...I realize the video is cut in half - just refer to it as a link...there are robots for godsake, just do it!!!!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

...ok, the the above excerpt, if you haven't been paying attention, is a 3 day old post which purpose was to inform you of upcoming posts of, you know, actual content. I threw in a short science fiction clip and thought I was done with it. But no, as I returned to view my recent post in all it's pink background-ed glory (and to survey for grammar and spelling mistakes(god knows why I don't perform this task BEFORE I finalize the post)) I noticed the embedded youtube video I threw in was wider than that of the main column of which it was embedded. This was highly annoying and, as a temporary fix, I disclosed my awareness of the mistake - figuring that most people would just use the clip as a link to the full-sized youtube page. But, unsatisfied I remained.

Deftly, I googled "blogger in draft" - as I have been aware of its existence and capabilities, though never warranting a need for its services. Cracking open the fancy new template designer featured within, I was presented with a myriad of new layouts - all well crafted indeed, but all including some sort of complex flashy design, no matter how "simple" their titles touted them to be.  However,  aside from their dissuading appearance, just as I suspected, there was a convenient little tool enabling me to re-size the widths of my main column and sidebar - just what I needed in order to fit that goddamn video to the column width. So the next two thousand hours were spent with me attempting to recreate a similar, if not exact, look of my old template (minima?) - color continuity and all. But I ran into so many problems during this process I was awfully close to breaking something very unimportant within my nearest proximity.

My old design was simple, concise, mundane - everything I could have ever asked for really - and here I was endlessly fiddling with a dozen separately color-designated sections, ugly encoded gradient effects, and mysterious alignment issues. Maybe I didn't put in enough time, maybe I should have learned to love the new templates and grown and a blossomed, settled down and had some template children - but at this point it was far to late for retrospective assimilation, my preconceived hate for these new templates were unbridled. So I did what I do so skillfully in any overtly frustrating situation, and totally gave up - that is until I inspected the embedding code of the youtube video itself.

Why didn't I think of this earlier? The definitions for the size of the clip are of course within the code, and with a bit of math, to adjust the proportions effectively, I could adjust the size of the clip to fit my column rather than vice versa. So without further or do, here's the work around, just in case you ever encounter this problem yourself:

a) First, determine the size of your templates column. From your Dashboard/Layout/Edit Html you will find a bunch of HTML nonsense defining the essence of your current template. Scroll down methodically until you find a section entitled "Outer Wrapper" and then shortly thereafter the subsection "Main Wrapper" - there you will see the width in pixels; probably close to the number 400, depending on your current template.


b) If your video isn't fitting within this size, then the adjustment for the code defining the width of the video embed must be slightly smaller. Take this video embedding code and copy it as you usually do, and once pasted within your post you will notice that within its entirety there are two definitions of both the width and height of the clip - a height and width definition at the beginning of the code and a height and width definition at the end as well.


c) Now get a calculator and a piece of scrap paper. Write down your new desired width for said clip - so that it fits within your 400px sized column (let's sat 390). Multiply that number by the videos current height number and then divide the sum by the original width of the video (400). The result is a proportionate height for the newly assigned width - this will avoid any unsightly pixel err that could result if configured in a disproportionate manner.  Take your newly acquired pixel sizes and replace the old sizes with them in the embedding code, between the quotations, after their respective Height and Width titles.

d) Done. But in my case not really, because soon after I made the fix the video was "removed due to terms of use violation"....in this case the publisher is a dickhead, but I don't want to turn this into a copyright debate, otherwise I will never stop writing - however, the workaround was fun, wasn't it?!?!?!?!?!?!

-- here's the clip from the OFFICIAL PhilipsCinemaTV, ya know, the guys that are owned by a company that owns another company that controls all intellectual property ever produced by anyone...EVER.

LIBRE GRATIS


p.s. I know I said 3 days ago that I was posting more local(ish) art content the day after that post, but I am really doing it tomorrow instead. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment